How to Report a Failed 1031 Exchange that Rolled Over into the Next Tax Year

1031 Failed Taxes

How do you report a completely failed 1031 exchange that rolled over into the next tax-year when the taxpayer received the unused exchange funds?

It would seem that the IRS Form 8824 is intended to be used to avail the taxpayer’s privilege to defer the gain.

If there is no deferral and no exchange, it would appear that the 8824 is inapplicable. The installment form is 6252.

For more information, read our previous article on the topic.

  • 1031 Hotline: If you have questions about the benefits of 1031 exchanges, feel free to call me at 612-643-1031.

Defer the tax. Maximize your gain.


© 2018 Copyright Jeffrey R. Peterson All Rights Reserved