The 1031 Strike Zone - Does My Property Qualify?

1031 strike zone

Whether or not your property qualifies for a 1031 exchange is determined by whether or not it fits in the IRS’s strike zone for a 1031. Inside this strike zone are properties held for investment or business purposes. We have talked at length about the various types of property that fall within this strike zone, but what exists outside the strike zone for 1031 exchanges?

Outside the Strike Zone

Outside the 1031 strike zone are 2 major categories:

  1. Properties used primarily for personal use like a lake cabin or a ski chalet, or the car you use to drive to the grocery store. You are not holding these for investment or business purposes. They are for personal use.
  2. Inventory or property you hold primarily for resale. Let’s say a taxpayer buys a big tract of land and chops it up into parcels that they then sell to the public to build homes on. Is that taxpayer holding that property for investment or business purposes or are they holding it for inventory for sale to the public? A surly IRS agent would say the latter and deny a 1031 exchange.

So condo converters, developers, and even house rehabbers or flippers don’t fit neatly into the 1031 strike zone. If you fall into one of these categories and are considering a 1031 exchange, contact a qualified intermediary to discuss your options.

  • 1031 Hotline: If you have questions about whether or not your Minnesota property qualifies for a 1031 exchange, feel free to call me at 612-643-1031.

Defer the tax. Maximize your gain.


© 2016 Copyright Jeffrey R. Peterson All Rights Reserved