Steps to Take After a Reverse 1031 Exchange

Information in a 1031 Exchange

After a reverse exchange is completed and a replacement property that was parked by the intermediary has been conveyed to the taxpayer, the business may not be done. There may still be some administrative tidying up that needs to be done.

Change of Address

For example, the LLC that parked and held title to the replacement property may have been assigned to the taxpayer, but the records with the Secretary of State may still reflect the intermediary’s address as the business address of the LLC and as the registered agent. One administrative step after the reverse exchange is done is to file a new annual report with the Secretary of State reflecting the correct address and who is the new registered agent of the LLC.

If the address where the county tax statements are being sent to is showing as the intermediary’s address, the local county may continue to send the tax bills to the intermediary’s address rather than to the taxpayer. So another item to tidy up is to file or notify the local tax assessor where you want your tax statements and tax bills to be sent to in the future.

Notify the IRS

It may also be prudent to contact the IRS and notify them that the ownership of the LLC has substantially changed and request a new EIN number for the LLC.

These are little administrative items that are prudent to take immediately after the reverse exchange has been wrapped up. It's important not to delay too long because otherwise correspondence and important communication may be routed to the wrong address and the taxpayer may not receive that information for some time.

  • 1031 Hotline: If you have questions about administrative items after a reverse 1031 exchange, feel free to call me at 612-643-1031.

Defer the tax. Maximize your gain.


© 2017 Copyright Jeffrey R. Peterson All Rights Reserved